Monday, August 23, 2010

Post-assignment Thoughts

Since the first assignment went off I have been thinking about my learning. It was interesting to take time to reflect. Towards the end of the assignment I had found myself becoming an advocate for change, not only within schools but also in our whole system of education. After examining the school that I have connected with for this course, I was surprised at the traditional mould that still exists in the centre of the 'new' wave of thinking on education and especially on learning for the future. Teachers, and I think schools are hard pressed to maintain their standing in the 'mySchool' comparisons without going really out there and heading off in new directions which may prove too radical.

There is so much that is good in the whole 'mindset' of an ILSC but there is so much to change to make it happen. Even just reading the posts on the forum it is obvious that some principals want to save money and not even have a TL while others are all for it but are reluctant to plunge in. There needs to be some major public re-education if this is to happen in the way that will mean benefits for the students of today and the future. A lot depends on it.

I have really learnt from the readings and when comparing it from my own school library background, there really isn't anything much that does stay the same, except perhaps there are still books!

By the way, I have taken Ross Todd's article on 'The changing information environment and student learning' published in SCAN in Feb last year, to heart. I usually prepare my posts on a word document and paste them in. This time I am writing it in as I think about it, straight on the blog. Todd says that we have to embrace the new technologies, not just dabble around the edge if we want to benefit from it. Many TL's are taking it on, it was time I did too.

No comments:

Post a Comment